It can be quite difficult to decide on what goals we choose to set and pursue and then work out how we’re going to achieve them.
So how do we decide on the most important ones?
One of the ways is by using a technique called Mental Contrasting.
So how do we do Mental Contrasting?
- Focus on the desired goal so that it’s visualised clearly.
- Focus on one benefit achieving the goal will bring and write it down.
- Focus on one obstacle standing in the way of achieving the goal and write it down.
- Focus on another benefit of achieving the goal and write it down.
- Focus on another obstacle….
- Focus on another benefit…
- Focus on another obstacle…
- Focus on another benefit… etc, etc, etc
Carry on with this process until all the perceived benefits and obstacles have been explored.
Why do we do this?
- It helps to decide if the goal is really what we want and if it’s worth pursuing. i.e the obstacles aren’t too big and daunting to overcome.
- Working through the benefits of achieving the goal can raise our energy levels and enthusiasm leading to greater effort.
- By identifying the obstacles we are able to plan more effectively which leads to a higher success rate.
And all of this can be done with the least of effort.